Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Proof That Scrapbooking is Completely Subjective

So often it seems that so many of us scrapbookers, myself included, become hyper-critical of our own creations. I know for a fact that, when it comes to scrapbooking, I am a perfectionist and need things to be a certain way. This type of self-induced stress may seem all for not to those who do not understand the joy we get when our creations meet or exceed our expectations. It wasn't until I saw my son and his friend scrapbooking that I felt a bit silly about how much I dissect some of my pages, even re-doing the parts that aren't perfect in my eyes. The boys started with Sn@p! albums, purchased at Michael's. After they decided that they wanted the cardboard portion of the cover decorated, they began going through my stash to find the perfect papers for their newly acquired scrapbooks. Of all the papers I had, and there are quite a few, both of them decided on the only shiny paper I had. Then, they set out picking out a ribbon to cover the seam where the paper met the fabric, and some washi for the edges. Here's the end result.
Personally, I think it looks like the 4th of July threw up all over their books. But, the important thing is that my "clients" were happy with the design of their books. Then, they set off to decorated a cover page - that is, after I explained to them what a cover page was and why they needed one lol I helped them pick out a sheet for their cover page, then they went through my Thickers stash to find the perfect font in the perfect color. After they settled on a title, and put everything down (by themselves), they decided they wanted to put stickers on it. . . and the stickers kept coming.
To say there was a sticker sneeze on their pages seems to be a huge understatement. The boys found every sticker they liked, and put them on their pages. The point of all this? Nathan and Zach absolutely LOVE the pages they've created, and can't wait to get started on putting pictures in their albums. Yes, they took their books to everyone that would look at them to show what they've made. But, to those boys, that's the best thing they've ever made - no matter what anyone else thinks. They put everything they like on that one page. They didn't worry if it would match. They didn't agonize over the placement of things, or whether it was "perfect" or not. They were creative, and enjoyed every single minute of it. I was supposed to be teaching them how to scrapbook, but Nathan and Zach taught me to enjoy the whole process and appreciate the imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment